A dish could go wrong if the gravy hasn’t been prepared properly. The trick lies in its simple steps. Having patience and following the recipe works wonders. At the same time, a little improvisation is good and necessary at times. To have gravy that is relevant at all times, let us find out how to make a simple one that serves as a base for almost all food preparations. Master the art of gravy making and ensure the outcome of the final product is as desired.
|Carrot||½ Cup, Chopped|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||1 Tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Tbsp|
|Coriander Powder||2 Tbsp|
|Mustard Seeds||½ Tbsp|
|Garam Masala||1 Tbsp|
|Salt||As per taste|
- Heat oil in a pan and simmer the flame.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and mustard seeds in the pan. Wait for the seeds to crackle.
- Put chopped onions into the pan and sauté them till golden brown. Do not overcook them.
- Add sliced and finely chopped carrots to the pan first, as they take longer to cook.
When half cooked, add tomatoes.
- Add ginger garlic paste to the above mix and stir well.
- Cover the lid for 2-3 minutes and let the vegetables cook in the water they release.
- Open the lid and the mint leaves.
- Put salt and butter as per taste.
- On a low flame, let the mash mix and cook well.
5 Quick Tips for Gravy-Making
- Cook the ingredients in a low flame, to avoid rushing through the process
- Do not add extra water at first. Let the vegetables cook in their own water as they release it.
- Blend the thickening agents or vegetable pulp well.
- Let it slow cook, but let it get very hot to include the heat lost while adding the vegetable to it.
- Add salt to the gravy as well as the vegetable.