Thin yellow rolls of besan spread into sheets and twisted to perfection. Add to this a garnish of mustard seeds and chillies, and you have one of the most cherished Gujrati food items to snack on. This description is of khandvi dhokla also called khandavi. It is a type of dhokla made with ground gram flour. Its method of preparation and presentation is rather fancy and different from the others. Read more to find out about the awesome Indian recipe.
|1.5 cups||Besan or gram flour|
|1 or 1.5 cups||Yogurt or buttermilk|
|2||Green or red chillies|
|1 Tsp||Turmeric powder|
|0.5 Tsp||Mustard seeds|
|To garnish||Sesame seeds|
|A few||Coriander leaves|
Khandvi Dhokla – Step-wise preparation:
Preparing the besan rolls:
- Take a large bowl and add besan or gram flour to it.
- Dilute yogurt with water. If you are using buttermilk, add it directly to the flour, along with salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Heat a pan and add pour the above mixture to it.
- Cook in a low flame, till the mixture thickens.
- The trick to the perfect consistency is to keep stirring the mix.
- Make sure there are no lumps and the batter is uniformly spread.
- After about 12 minutes or so, when it thickens, add oil evenly.
Greasing the plate:
- Take a brush and grease the tray or plate with oil.
- Add the concentrated mixture to it.
- Use a spoon or ladle to spread it out, thin and even.
- To make the seasoning, take a small ladle or seasoning spatula to a low flame.
- To this, add mustard seeds, finely chopped green or red chillies, sesame seeds and coriander leaves at the end.
- When it crackles, turn off the flame.
- Present the khandvi as pin wheel rolls.
- To achieve this, cut the cooked besan-spread in straight lines.
- Separate each line and start rolling.
- Add the seasoning and garnish to the rolls. Coconut gratings are optional.
- Feel free to serve the yummy Indian dish as it is or poke each roll with a toothpick.